Tuesday, August 23, 2011

good jeans

In 2003, I bought my first pair of Seven jeans. Going into Neiman Marcus, spending $150 and having my jeans hemmed for the first time ever was a life-altering (and butt-altering) experience.

Not only were they the best-fitting jeans I had ever owned, they signified (in a small way) that I had made it, and that I somehow fit into the Buckhead lifestyle I adopted early in my professional career.

Those jeans and I were inseparable. They accompanied me on my bachelorette weekend in Hilton Head, my honeymoon in St. Lucia, a cruise to the Bahamas... and they made thousands of pilgrimages to much more mundane locations over the years.

Eventually, the style changed. Light-washed jeans were replaced by darker, more sophisticated shades of denim, and my favorite, go-to article of clothing was folded neatly and placed at the top of my closet.

Occasionally - during a random spring cleaning - I would pull them down and try them on. You know, just to see how they (we) were holding up. Over the years, they became tighter and tighter during those brief fittings, and they stopped fitting altogether in 2008 - the beginning of my child-bearing years.

Despite their now tattered hem and the small hole in the right inner thigh that was acquired during their heyday, I still couldn't bear to part with them, and back to the top of the closet they would go.

Last night, I tried them on for the first time in ages - ready (and expecting) to reluctantly toss them into the Goodwill bag and finally say goodbye after all these years of being unable to wear them.

Instead, I can now add "dropping my kids off at school" as the latest adventure my favorite jeans and I have shared.

A tad overly sentimental? Yes. But, what better way to celebrate a milestone in post-baby weight loss than with a cherished old friend. :)





1 comment:

  1. Way to go! I'm so ready to wear normal clothes again and have a pair of jeans that are always the "test" of weight loss.

    ReplyDelete