Sunday, March 20, 2011

full term

How far along are you? 37 weeks, which means Brady is officially full term! My hospital bag will be packed tomorrow just in case he decides to arrive before April 4.

How big is the baby? To quote babycenter.com, "Your baby weighs 6 1/3 pounds and measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel (like a stalk of Swiss chard)." Very helpful. Everyone can easily visualize Swiss chard.

Maternity clothes? yes.

Weight - Loss or Gain? I'm at 32 lbs as of my dr. visit last week - still on track to stay within the recommended weight gain of 35 lbs. With Tate, I lost 25+ lbs by my 2-week postpartum checkup, so I think it will be fairly easy to shed the baby weight and return to my pre-pregnancy self. The hard part is going to be those additional 15 lbs that need to go as well. Baby steps.

Stretch marks? ugh. I broke down and ordered the $50 (!) stretch mark cream that Dr. Soufi has been shamelessly promoting for commission telling me about. I'm skeptical, but hopeful.

Sleep? Still doing ok in the sleep department. Acid reflux hasn't been bothering me at night anymore, but I do have to get up a few (2-3) times a night to use the bathroom. But, I'm not complaining and I'm trying to savor my last two weeks of real sleep. I know what's in store for me in the first month with a newborn.

Any movement? Yes. Lots of hiccups, rolling movements, pokes and jabs, and the occasional, painful foot in the ribcage.

Food Cravings? Milk, milk, milk.

Food Aversions? Nope.

Belly Button in or out? MIA and not a good look.

What do you miss? Being able to run and play with Tate. Since he was only 16 months old when we found out we were expecting Brady, he probably only ever remembers me as "pregnant mommy." I'm sure it will be quite a shock to learn that I'm not normally this slow or have such a huge belly.

What are you looking forward to? Meeting Brady in 14 days!

What was the BEST part of this week? The great weather in Atlanta....date night with Keith to see "The King's Speech"...successfully completing 2 stressful projects at work....and just being amused in general by Tate. One example:

While sitting at a red light near Piedmont Park, Tate was craning his neck to check out the Grady High School track/football field and was having a hard time getting a good view because of the parked cars along the side of the street. So, logically, my 23 month old tells me, "mommy, move those cars so I can see better." (sure, sweety!) And then, after moving up 5 car lengths during the brief light change and having to sit through the red light again..."thanks, now I see better." Good thing he doesn't think the world revolves around him. :)

What was the WORST part of this week? After a string of daily weird/annoying incidents, Friday morning's catastrophe wins hands down as the worst part of the week. Tate was already bathed and dressed and we were both in my bedroom/bathroom as I was getting dressed so that I could drop him off at school. I left the room for 2 minutes to grab a shirt from the laundry room and returned to a horror scene of Tate's mouth and hands COVERED in blood. He had Keith's bathroom drawer opened and I knew instantly that he must have found Keith's razor. Tate wasn't crying or reacting yet in any way, so I did my best to remain calm and grabbed a towel to begin trying to locate the source of the blood. I discovered a half-inch slice on his bottom lip and tried to clean him up while applying pressure to stop the bleeding. Good grief do lips bleed a lot! It took well over an hour before the bleeding finally stopped and I felt assured that he didn't need stitches. By the time I dropped him off at school at 11am, we were both drained and in need of a nap. (Tate actually got to take one...I got to do a load of bloody laundry and try to catch up on my morning missed at work)

Anyway, I learned 3 things from this event:
  1. I am braver than I think I am, and I'm proud to have earned another notch in my "mommy-didn't-faint-in-an-emergency" belt.
  2. We need to do a more thorough child-safety inspection of our house...especially with another one on the way. We have safety locks on our bathroom and kitchen cabinets, but I didn't consider the contents of this particular bathroom drawer and it clearly wasn't secured.
  3. I read that petroleum jelly can help stop bleeding quicker. Will try that next time.

Weekly Wisdom? See #2 above. Also a good reminder that anything can happen when you take your eyes off your child...even in just 2 minutes.

Milestones: Brady's full-term-ness

No comments:

Post a Comment