Monday, February 21, 2011

fingers

Keith was inducted into a new club today. Unfortunately, it was the I-slammed-my-kid's-fingers-in-the-car-door club, and he wasn't too excited to earn his membership.

What started as a great morning, ended with four of Tate's fingers on his right hand being in the wrong place at the wrong time as we were organizing the car and getting loaded to take him to daycare. It makes me sick to my stomach and a little light-headed to think about it now, but I'm proud of myself for taking charge and acting calmly and rationally in the heat of the moment. (this is coming from a person who easily faints at the sight of blood and has even passed out at the vet's office - a good story for another time)

Keith realized immediately what had happened and was able to open the door back up quickly as poor Tate stood there with his eyes bulging wide as the shock of the incident turned to throbbing pain. I swooped him up and rushed inside to access the damage, which turned out to just be some deep purple indentations and swelling...no damage to the nails, no signs of broken bones and no blood. whew.

I gave him some Tylenol and then gave him a popsicle in an attempt to distract him while I tried to apply ice. The whole thing was over in about 15 minutes and he seemed completely normal when I dropped him off at school...he was even holding a pencil in that hand and drawing as I left.

So, the end result will likely be no scarring for Tate, but permanent scarring for me and Keith, as this was the first (and, hopefully, only) time where one of us has accidentally inflicted major physical pain upon him.

We ended the day with our 4,856th viewing of Toy Story, followed by an early 7pm bedtime. As you can see below, he's perfectly fine. Any maybe even milking it a little. :)

1 comment:

  1. Definitely worse for you and Keith, so sorry that happened! I did that to Blaire when we were little in the freezing cold weather in NC. And, my mom did it to Brice about six months ago and felt so awful. It happens, so proud you didn't pass out!

    ReplyDelete