Thursday, August 26, 2010

one down - 57 to go

So, I watched "Chariots of Fire" last night to kick off my movie project extravaganza. Eh. It was just ok. I've come to the conclusion that when you really boil it down, too many sports movies rely on the exact same plot formula:
  1. individual/team desires to accomplish lofty goal, but faces adversity
  2. individual/team finds coach who implements a rigorous training regimen and shows tough love
  3. individual/team learns life lessons and achieves the unthinkable against all odds (fade in inspirational theme music)

i.e. "Karate Kid", "Hoosiers", "The Cutting Edge", "Rocky", "The Mighty Ducks"...

I know I'm oversimplifying things (I tend to do that), but it just didn't feel original. Or, maybe it was original in 1981 and everything else that followed is cliche'. Anyhoo, beyond that major point of criticism, Keith and I were entertained by the running style of the 1924 Olympics...complete with arched backs and arms flailing about in the air.

In other news, we're finally remodeling our kitchen. This has been 6 years in the making and we're really, really doing it this time. Nothing too extensive...just granite countertops, stainless faucet/sink and new tile back splash, plus new knobs and drawer pulls. Stage II will involve refacing the cabinet doors and adding glass panels on top. In terms of Stage I, I know what I want, so now it's just a matter of finding the right company to do it. I have 2 quotes so far and hope to get a few more tomorrow for comparison's sake. Looking forward to sharing the before and after pictures in the coming weeks!

For those of you who are annoyed with my rambling and just came to this site to see what's new with Tate, I promise not to disappoint you with my next post.


No comments:

Post a Comment