Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Vacation: Day 1

So, our vacation got off to a rough start. Actually, I take that back. Our vacation initially got off to a fantastic start... and then... well, you'll see. I picked Tate up from daycare around 6:15pm and was told he'd been a little fussy that afternoon, which actually sounded like good news to me since I knew (or hoped) that meant he'd take a nap when we got home and I could finish packing, kid-free. I was right.

Keith got home from his ballgame around 7:00pm and we were packed, loaded and had a clean house (a vacation requirement) by 8:15pm. Tate was still asleep (unusual), so we woke him up, fed him, and hit the road by 8:30pm. All in all, not too bad. We left a little behind schedule, but Keith and I were both in pleasant moods (also unusual- normally not on speaking terms during the packing/loading/leaving) and looking forward to our trip. So, yay! Vacation! I took the first driving shift so that Keith could sleep. St. Simons ETA: 1:30am.

20 minutes later, Tate projectile vomits all over the car. Ah! Ok, no big deal. We pull over at a McDonald's near the airport. I clean up Tate, Keith cleans up the car, and we're back on the road.

20 minutes later, Tate projectile vomits all over the car again! Ugh, ok. NO BIG DEAL. We pull over at a McDonald's 20 minutes below the airport. I clean up Tate, Keith cleans up the car, and we're back on the road.

20 minutes later, Tate projectile vomits all over the car again. No, just kidding... this time we drove into the most ridiculous thunderstorm ever. Like sideways rain and massive buckets of water splashing on the windshield. I already don't see well at night and at this point, it's raining so hard that I might as well have been blindfolded. So, we pull over at a gas station to switch drivers so that Keith can navigate us through this mess and I can relax my now-white knuckles.

Since we are already stopped, Keith gets gas and I make a mad-dash inside so that I can use the bathroom to avoid having to stop again. Of course, both bathrooms are out of order... but there is a slight silver-lining. As we were pulling out of the station, we noticed an older gentleman on a motorcycle who was REALLY soaking wet and having to wait out the storm. So we were at least thankful we weren't him (and I think Keith may have even rolled down the window and told him that.) St. Simons ETA: 2:30am

The rest of the journey was uneventful and we did finally arrive at my parent's house at 2:30am. Tate went right back to sleep in his crib and never threw up again for the rest of the trip. In summary, here is what we learned:
  1. Baby vomit can go a long way upon leaving said-baby's mouth. (i.e. reaching the dashboard)
  2. Baby vomit doesn't smell good..and you never, ever get used to the smell...even if you hope and pray you will since you still have 4 hours left in the car to enjoy the aroma. (hypothetically speaking) On the bad-smell continuum, it falls somewhere between Keith's dirty socks and my cooking.
  3. You can never have enough scented plastic bags, hand-sanitizer and paper towels. (my car will now be stocked with these items)

Tate, thankfully, slept until 8:30am the next morning... and even more thankfully, my parents were happy to see him (and maybe us, too) and let us go back to bed until 11:30am (it IS vacation!)

More on days 2-5 later...

No comments:

Post a Comment